Fall 2020 AMC Policy Development Dates & Deadlines:
October 22 - November 6: At AMC District Meetings, members will vote on their top priorities for the 2021 legislative session.
October 30: Deadline for amendments to the AMC platform.
November 9: Policy Coordinating Committee Meeting to review and assign platform proposals to each Policy Committee.
November 16: AMC Policy Committees will meet to vote on platform amendments before our committee. Platform changes will then be forwarded to the Policy Coordinating Committee and general membership for approval. Meeting will take place via Zoom with a finalized agendas and registration links being shared closer to the meeting date.
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. - Environment & Natural Resources, General Government, Transportation & Infrastructure
12:30 - 3:30 p.m. - Health & Human Services
1:00 – 4:00 p.m. - Public Safety
November 20: Policy Coordinating Committee meets to resolve issues that may arise during the policy committee discussions and forward platform amendments to the general membership.
December 7: The AMC Board of Directors meets to consider and adopt AMC legislative priorities for 2021.
December 7: Annual Business Meeting during which general membership will vote to approve platform changes for 2021.
Use the committee links at left to find meeting agendas, minutes and other materials:
The AMC policy development process is carefully constructed to ensure that county officials:
- Are actively involved in policy development through district and policy committee meetings;
- Understand the issues facing county government and have a forum for thorough discussion;
- Have access to well-informed, professional staff which carefully follow the policy direction set by the membership; and
- Participate in the efforts necessary to fulfill the policy goals.
AMC policy statements are developed through a democratic process aimed at reflecting the collective opinion of county commissioners in Minnesota.
Annual AMC Legislative Platform Development Process
AMC members work with AMC's intergovernmental services staff to bring forward any items for consideration of inclusion in the AMC Legislative Platform. Connect with the appropriate AMC policy analyst to discuss your position. With their assistance, you will be responsible for writing your suggestion, whether it is a new item, a change to a current platform item, or a deletion from the current platform. The AMC analyst will discuss background/context/possible opposition to and support for the position, and can coach you through the development process.
There are numerous ways for AMC members to participate in the process, as outlined in the timeline below. If you have any questions about this process, please contact AMC’s policy coordinator Anne Kilzer.
- August: Policy committees, affiliates and staff review the previous year's platform and suggest changes.
- September: Policy committees meet to discuss changes to the platform and potential legislative priorities.
- October - November: AMC Fall District meetings, further discussion of the platform and legislative priorities.
- Mid-November: Platform recommendations must be submitted to AMC to meet policy committee deadlines.
- December: Policy committees finalize platform recommendations, and platform is adopted by full membership during the AMC Annual Conference in St. Cloud.
- December/early January: AMC Board of Directors selects legislative priorities for the upcoming legislative session.
Environment & Natural Resources
Health & Human Services